Rays Lose One, Win One as Grapefruit League Play Begins
In the earlier game against the Pirates, the Rays displayed some very good pitching. Roberto Hernandez, Jeff Niemann and Fernando Rodney all pitched scoreless one-inning outings. Prospect Enny Romero also contributed with two scoreless innings later in the game.
Things weren’t nearly as pretty on the offensive side, however, as the Rays managed to muster only four hits in the game that featured more regulars. The only runs for Tampa Bay came from a 2-RBI double by minor league centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier.
Top prospect Wil Myers—who made his spring training debut—walked and grounded out.
The pitching on the Rays’ second squad was just as impressive down in Fort Myers against the Red Sox. They kicked off the game with three scoreless one-inning outings by Alex Colome, Brandon Gomes and Felipe Rivero. Josh Lueke added to the scoreless streak with two quick innings of his own.
Offensive notables from the game include Desmond Jennings (2-2), Hak-Ju Lee (0-2) and Leslie Anderson (1-2, 2-run HR).
Other Rays News and Notes:
- Congratulations to Evan Longoria, who is now a father! Here’s Evan on the recent birth of his daughter:
- The Rockies have been showing interest in Jeff Niemann.
- There’s been some buzz over what David Price said about the Yankees recently.
- Reliever Alex Torres will play for Team Venezuela in the Wold Baseball Classic. Torres now becomes the fifth Ray in the tournament, joining Fernando Rodney (Dominican Republic), Ben Zobrist (U.S.), Jose Molina (Puerto Rico), Cesar Ramos (Mexico).
- Here are the pitchers scheduled for today’s 1:05 game against the Twins in Fort Myers: Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi, Frank De Los Santos, Will Inman, Matt Nevarez, Jimmy Patterson, Juan Sandoval, Alex Torres, Kirby Yates